Although Mayfair was only developed in the early 18th century - previously being fields and farm land, as hard as that may be to imagine now, it is still rich in history.
Mayfair's development mostly took place on the land beginning to just a few families, such as the Grosvenors, the Berkeleys and the Burlingtons. Find out more about the great estates of Mayfair.
To get an overview of the critical points in Mayfair's history up until the present day, have a look at our Mayfair Timeline.
Notable residents of Mayfair
In Mayfair's short but illustrious history, it has been home to an incredible array of people - far too many, in fact, to mention here. But some of the famous residents to have lived here include:
- Lord Horatio Nelson - two addresses in Bond Street
- George Frideric Handel - Brook Street
- Jimmy Hendrix - Brook Street
- Benjamin Disraeli - Curzon Street
- Winston Churchill - various
- Anthony Eden - Chesterfield Street
- HM The Queen - (born in) Bruton Street
- Beau Brummell - Chesterfield Street
- Harry Gordon Selfridge - Fitzmaurice Place
Is there something you want to know about Mayfair's history? Email us and let us know - if we don't know the answer, we'll try and find out.